Quantcast

Friday, October 10, 2008

Popeye

Hi everyone. Bobby here.
Alot of people who know me know that I love Popeye. In fact, I've always wanted to do a Popeye comic.
As luck would have it, just prior to San Diego ComicCon, I was introduced to a guy by the name of Frank Caruso who works on Popeye over at King Features. Frank is a great guy who also loves Popeye, naturally, and we talked for a long while on the subject.
Needless to say, I'd never forgive myself if I didn't at least try to pitch a Popeye comic, so I drew up a couple pages.
According to Frank, there isn't alot of interest in a Popeye graphic novel right now, but who knows? Popeye never dies, so maybe someday...
Anyways, I thought it's be fun to share the pages I drew. Here's a brief sample of what a Popeye graphic novel as drawn by me might look like.


10 comments:

Rich said...

Bobby, that's all kinds of great. I'd buy that in an instant!

caanantheartboy said...

Wow. Here's hoping it happens one day!

Anonymous said...

That is simply fabulous. The giant robot centurian is really well done :) I'm diggin it, and I'm not a huge Popeye fan.

tonytrov said...

NEAT! Metropolis inspired?

Josh said...

That... is... awesomeness. Popeye was the reason I ate spinach as a kid... I remember eating my grandmother's spinach soup and displaying my new found strength by lifting the chair I was sitting in.

It was small.

And plastic.




And light.

Peter Timony said...

Tony, I believe the idea was inspired by Jason and the Argonaughts.

Peter

Amy Pearson said...

Brilliant!
The art is so clean looking, I love it

Bobby Timony said...

Thanks everyone! That is indeed Talos the Bronze Man from Jason and the Argonauts.

Sam Little said...

That is so great. I even hear the Popeye voice in my head with the dialogue. How can there not be a market for a Popeye GN? I'd buy the heck out of it.

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic.